Mini Project – Phone Stand

After all of my practice joints I had a growing pile of dovetail corners lying around. While I didn’t initially have any plans for them, one of my more recent pieces seemed like the perfect candidate to turn into a phone stand.

It was a pretty simple project, but it allowed me to use my new wood polish and also try using wood glue for the first time. Also, it felt good to actually make something for a change, instead of just practicing.

Check out the rest of the posts to see more details on how I made it.

Step 1

Since I already had the joint made all I needed to do was cut off a small piece that I would use to make the lip. After securing it in a vise a few quick passes with my saw was all that was needed.

 

 

 

 

 

Step 2
2015-05-07 16.58.36This was my first time using wood glue which was a learning experience. While I don’t have pictures of the mess I definitely used far too much glue,  and had to clean it all off. Apparently, a little glue goes a long way.

As for the clamps, I’m not sure if I actually needed two for such a small piece, but I’ve already heard you can never have too many clamps.

 

 

 

Step 3 & 4

2015-05-08 11.13.14I don’t have any pictures of these steps, but all I did was do some light sanding to make sure everything was smooth, and apply a few coats of wood polish.

The picture posted here is the phone stand on a small shelf next to my bed. I think it came out pretty well.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *